February 9, 2010

Eating on Purpose...And, I Hate the Gym (Part 7)

So, yesterday was frustrating...after I weighed in and realized I had gained 2 pounds I didn't want to do anything.  I didn't want to work out, I didn't want to eat right, I was annoyed with myself and with this whole ''diet'' thing.

I am still feeling that way a little bit, it's so frustrating to make progress and then screw up and lose it (the progress that is...not the weight).  I know that a lot of why that has happened is my own fault, because I don't make the best decisions sometimes, especially on the weekends.  I enjoy food sooooo much!  And I looooooooove eating!  I also get frustrated because I see other people who can eat whatever they want and they don't have to work out, or work out the same amount that I do, and they never gain weight.  That is obnoxious...I feel like if I eat a carrot and drink a glass of water I gain 7 pounds.  But, I guess it is the lovely metabolism and body that I have been blessed cursed with.  I will just have to live with that for my whole life, and making healthy food choices and exercising is what I have to do to make up for that.  But then I go back to the whole ''I hate the gym!'' rant.  I have yet to go this week, because I am so frustrated, but I plan on going tonight because I have to get back on this weight loss plan!  I need to do it and I have so many folks out there who are following me and I want you all to be there to celebrate with me when we get to the end (maybe we can have a party...of course we'll keep the food limited).

Well, today's post is a bit of a rant (I promised you a weekly rant several weeks ago...let this count for last week's and this one's).  But I also wanted to share some information I found on a website, it's from another weight loss blog called ''Fatty Weight Loss.''  They have listed the Top 10 Diet Tips and Tricks and one of them I found interesting...

Diet Tip #8 – Eat on Purpose
Don’t be afraid to get in touch with hunger. Discover what true hunger really feels like. Treat this as research and document all findings. Observe what happens to the body as hunger approaches and how long it takes the physical feeling of hunger to subside even when no food is consumed. Also, pay attention to any emotional reactions that may arise. Strive to develop a sense of actual hunger so that eating becomes a purposeful activity designed to sustain the body only rather than fill other needs.
 

This MUST be a tip I missed when I started this whole weight loss thing over a month ago.  It is something I had never really thought about doing.  I know that I eat out of boredom and when I'm stressed or frustrated.  But, I have never really understood how to handle that.  So, yesterday, and today, I have been conducting this little ''Eat[ing] on Purpose'' experiment.  It may seem a bit unhealthy, but I have been letting myself experience hunger, for example, now it is almost 1 p.m. and I have not had breakfast or lunch.  I can feel that I am hungry and know that I will eat a healthy lunch after class.  Now, this is not my ''gateway drug'' to anorexia, so don't worry about me there.  I also know that some tips say ''Don't allow yourself to get hungry because you will eat more.''  Well, I'm not doing this every single day, but I am going to try it out for 3 days and get a real feel for hunger so I have a better appreciation for food and will learn more about ''Eat[ing] on Purpose'' as this article refers to.

So, as you go about your Tuesday, I encourage you to ''Eat on Purpose.''

Until Next Time...

---------------

-Tyler 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, suggestions, questions, and encouragement is always welcome!

I hope you visit again soon!!!

-Tyler