January 13, 2010

Day 3...

So, today was day 3, and it has gone pretty well.  I ate well and went to the gym.  I did 3.25 miles on the elliptical and 1/2 a mile on the treadmill.  I think I'll add in weights in a couple of weeks, but for now I just want to get used to being in the gym and working out in general.


As for other things that have been going on...

  • I've had a headache ever since I started, it was pretty bad at the beginning, but now it's just a dull ache.  I'm not sure what it is, but I think it may be the fact that I am not putting caffeine in my body and my body doesn't know how to handle that.  
  • I have a really big issue with mindless eating.  Today I was sitting at home typing some emails and listening to music and wanted to eat.  I had finished lunch like half an hour earlier but I still had a desire to eat.  This is a big issue
  • I'm still trying to figure out how many calories to consume a day.  My first day I had about 1,200.  Yesterday I had about 1,500.  And today I had about 1,800.  My friend Kevin sent my blog info. to a dietician friend of his and she suggested I use a formula to calculate the number of calories I need to consume in one day to maintain my current weight, that number is 4,378.  I am eating a LOT less than that, and burning about 500 calories in the gym.  So, I just don't know if I'm doing it right.  Am I eating too much or not enough?  I am full all the time and don't really have a desire to eat, except for meal times and an afternoon snack.  We'll see how this goes for a little while and then I'll revisit it.  I guess the biggest thing is just making better choices than I used to make.  In the past I would eat as much of whatever I wanted.  Now I am eating more nutritious and more healthy foods in smaller portions.
  • I contacted a registered dietician today and found out some more information about scheduling an appointment with them.  The only issue is how much it would cost.  They do participate in a great program with my insurance company, BlueCross and BlueShield of NC, where a person gets 6 visits covered 100% per benefit period.  The sad thing is that my plan under BCBSNC doesn't participate in that program, so I am waiting on a call back from them on how much it would be to see them and pay a copay.  Hopefully it won't be too much, I really want to start seeing a dietician to help me with my questions on daily caloric intake.
Finally, I want to thank all of my lovely readers and followers for being so supportive and keeping up with the blog!  I hope that it has been what you expected and love your comments!  

Until Next Time...

---------------

-Tyler

2 comments:

  1. Tyler, I just wanted to say again that I am proud of you for doing this! Keep up the good work!

    As far as how many calories you should be taking in, here is a website that might help:

    http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-goal.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tyler! I truly believe that a lot of our ailments can be fixed with a glass of water. When I started training for my 1/2, I was waking up with headaches every morning. However, now I drink a glass of water every morning as soon as I wake up, continue sipping all day, and drink another glass before going to bed. My headaches have definitely decreased. Maybe you should try it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, suggestions, questions, and encouragement is always welcome!

I hope you visit again soon!!!

-Tyler