January 7, 2010

Some of My Goals...

So, I thought I would go ahead and share some of my goals with you all as I begin to prepare for Monday!  I almost feel like a prisoner on death row...getting ready for my execution, and eating everything in sight until then.  And...I'm okay with that.  I have really been preparing myself mentally for this whole ''weight loss thing.''  I think that is something I have lacked in the past is a real intentional preparation for what is ahead.  I also think I will be able to keep these goals and see success because my semester is not going to be nearly as difficult as what I have done in the past -- it is my last one after all!


So, as I said, here are some of my goals...these are more long term or overall, I will have weekly goals too, starting next week.


GOALS

  • Exercise, 1 hour each day, Monday - Friday -- Okay, this seems a little bit overwhelming, especially for a chubby kid that can barely walk up a flight of stairs.  BUT, I know that exercise is very important and plan on exercising at least an hour each day.  This will be mainly cardio, and I hope to add some light weight work after a few weeks.
  • Walk at least half an hour every day, on top of the 1 hour per day exercise goal -- I also want to spend time walking, outside of the 1 hour of exercise per day.  I think it will be a good way for me to continue to keep myself active outside of my aerobic walking course that I am taking this semester, and the exercise that I plan on doing daily in the gym.  I can definitely spend more time being physically fit instead of sitting in front of the TV.
  • Lose at least 2 pounds per week -- So, this is another goal that I feel is a little dangerous to give myself, but again, I feel it's important.  As I have learned over the past few weeks a pound of fat is equal to 3,500 calories, SO, for me to lose 2 pounds a week, I have to consume 7,000 calories less than what I usually do.  With a combination of healthy eating (which will be a lower calorie diet) and exercising, I will be consuming less and burning more.
  • Lose 35 pounds by graduation (May 17, 2010) -- Graduation is on Monday, May 17 2010.  That is 19 weeks away from when I start on Monday.  If I lose 2 pounds per week, for 19 weeks, I will have lost 38 pounds by graduation day!  Wow, what an amazing accomplishment!
  • Reduce my BMI to somewhere within the "Normal weight" range -- One's BMI (Body Mass Index) is the measure of their body fat, based on weight and height.  The "Normal weight" range for BMI is 18.5-24.9.  For a person that is 5 foot 11 inches tall, like me, that translate to a weight of 136 pounds to 179 pounds.  Now, let's be honest folks, could you imagine what I would look like at 136 pounds?  I KNOW!  A crackhead, meth addict, and malnourished child.  SO, 136 is not what I'm going for.  I want my BMI to be within the healthy range, but I have no desire to be some skinny, tiny little person (no offense to my skinny, tiny little friends).
    • There are also several other measure of ''ideal weight'' for a 21 year old, male, who is 5' 11" and weighs -------- (I'm not telling you yet!  You'll have to wait for Monday):  The "People's Choice Ideal Weight" for me is 244 pounds.  The "Metropolitan Life Table" range for a person with a large frame, such as me, is 164 to 188.  And, finally, the "Dr. BJ Devine Formula for Ideal Weight" says I should weight 166.
  • Eat 3 meals a day plus 2 healthy snacks (one mid-morning, one mid-afternoon) -- This is one thing I have been thinking a lot about, how much I will eat and when.  I know that folks say the smaller 5 meals a day works.  BUT, I know me and I know that I really, really, really LOVE to eat. Haha.  Eating 3 healthy meals per day with 2 healthy snacks (for example:  Breakfast -- Oatmeal with bananas, Morning Snack -- Berries and Yogurt, Lunch -- Low Fat Chicken Salad on Whole Wheat Bread, Afternoon Snack -- Babybel cheese and whole wheat crackers, Dinner -- Grilled chicken with steamed broccoli and whole grain rice) will work much better for me.  Of course, this plan may need to be altered once I actually get to it.
  • Watch less TV...mainly Food Network -- As I mentioned in my first post, I LOVE cooking and, therefore, really enjoy watching Food Network.  BUT, Food Network leads me to get hungry, crave ridiculously unhealthy recipes, and fall deeper and deeper in love with Paula Deen (and butter).  I MUST cut down on my Food Network obsession and replace it with a FIT-TV obsessions...okay, not really.  But it will be helpful to put down the remote and start walking or, oh I don't know, do homework or read or quite procrastinating on my work.
  • Understand the emotional and psychological reasons behind why I eat -- Another issue that I am very well aware of is that I take part in emotional eating.  I always have...when I am tired, stressed, upset, have low self esteem, or depressed -- I EAT!  I think it will be vital for me to understand the emotional and psychological reasons for this type of eating and help to stop it.  It may be difficult for me to have to work through those feelings and NOT have food to fill in that gap.  BUT, I do think that a lot of my issues with self esteem and being depressed can be traced back to my weight and not be completely comfortable in my own body...losing weight should help with this!
Okay, I think those are enough of my goals for now.  I will be posting weekly goals on Mondays of each week, along with that weeks weigh in and my work out plan for that week!


---------------


Until Next Time...


-Tyler

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Tyler! It's Jennifer C. :) I just wanted to say that extra walking can be really, really helpful in maintaining a healthy weight, so I think it's awesome that you have this on your goals. I lost a pant size this semester mostly because I walk so friggin' much (about 40 minutes a day). The rest of your goals look very reasonable and doable as well.

    Good luck! I'm sure you will do well! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments, suggestions, questions, and encouragement is always welcome!

I hope you visit again soon!!!

-Tyler