January 10, 2010

The Health Effects of Obesity...


I thought it would be good to have a post today detailing the negative health effects of being overweight or obese (and yes, I am obese, extremely obese actually, which is determined by measuring one's BMI, now, my BMI is -----...actually, you'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out when I post that and my first weigh in!).  Many people have an idea of the effects obesity places on one's health, but they aren't really aware of how serious the issue is.  The list below is from Stanford Hospitals and Clinics and can be found at this link.  I highlighted the effects that I suffer from because, as I stated in my first post, one of my big goals with this blog is to be truly honest with you all and let you know who I am and what I'm going through.  After the list, I explain how some of these have impacted me throughout my life thus far.


Health Effects of Obesity


Obesity has a far-ranging negative effect on health. Each year obesity-related conditions cost over 100 billion dollars and cause an estimated 300,000 premature deaths in the US. The health effects associated with obesity include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • high blood pressure - Additional fat tissue in the body needs oxygen and nutrients in order to live, which requires the blood vessels to circulate more blood to the fat tissue. This increases the workload of the heart because it must pump more blood through additional blood vessels. More circulating blood also means more pressure on the artery walls. Higher pressure on the artery walls increases the blood pressure. In addition, extra weight can raise the heart rate and reduce the body's ability to transport blood through the vessels.
  • diabetes - Obesity is the major cause of type 2 diabetes. This type of diabetes begins in adulthood. Obesity can cause resistance to insulin, the hormone that regulates blood sugar. When obesity causes insulin resistance, the blood sugar becomes elevated. Even moderate obesity dramatically increases the risk of diabetes.
  • heart disease - Atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) is present 10 times more often in obese people compared to those who are not obese. Coronary artery disease is also more prevalent because fatty deposits build up in arteries that supply the heart. Narrowed arteries and reduced blood flow to the heart can cause chest pain (angina) or a heart attack. Blood clots can also form in narrowed arteries and cause a stroke.
  • joint problems, including osteoarthritis - Obesity can affect the knees and hips because of the stress placed on the joints by extra weight. Joint replacement surgery, while commonly performed on damaged joints, may not be an advisable option for an obese person because the artificial joint has a higher risk of loosening and causing further damage.
  • sleep apnea and respiratory problems - Sleep apnea, which causes people to stop breathing for brief periods, interrupts sleep throughout the night and causes sleepiness during the day. It also causes heavy snoring. Respiratory problems associated with obesity occur when added weight of the chest wall squeezes the lungs and causes restricted breathing. Sleep apnea is also associated with high blood pressure.
  • cancer - In women, being overweight contributes to an increased risk for a variety of cancers including breast, colon, gallbladder, and uterus. Men who are overweight have a higher risk of colon and prostate cancers.
  • metabolic syndrome - The National Cholesterol Education Program has identified metabolic syndrome as a complex risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Metabolic syndrome consists of six major components: abdominal obesity, elevated blood cholesterol, elevated blood pressure, insulin resistance with or without glucose intolerance, elevation of certain blood components that indicate inflammation, and elevation of certain clotting factors in the blood. In the US, approximately one-third of overweight or obese persons exhibit metabolic syndrome.
  • psychosocial effects - In a culture where often the ideal of physical attractiveness is to be overly thin, people who are overweight or obese frequently suffer disadvantages. Overweight and obese persons are often blamed for their condition and may be considered to be lazy or weak-willed. It is not uncommon for overweight or obese conditions to result in persons having lower incomes or having fewer or no romantic relationships. Disapproval of overweight persons expressed by some individuals may progress to bias, discrimination, and even torment.
So, some of these effects haven't necessarily been pointed out by a doctor, but I am aware of how I am affected in these ways.  For example, I get headaches, a lot, like everyday with a migraine about once every couple of weeks.  They can be debilitating at times and make life a little more difficult.  Now, as I posted yesterday, I will be finding a doctor in the coming month to monitor my progress, and hopefully s/he can help with this headache issue, but I do think that they may be caused by high blood pressure.  On to the joint pain issue...I'm 21 and my legs, ankles, feet, and back all hurt, bad.  That's not a good sign and is another issue I have got to get healthier.  On the sleep apnea issue, I snore pretty badly and my sleep is never really "fulfilling," I wake up tired and am exhausted by about 6 p.m. every evening.  Finally, psychosocial effects can never truly be measured or observed like the others, but I am aware of the fact that I may get stared at, people may talk about how big I am, I may be an embarrassment to others around me, and I have low self esteem.  I have also always been picked on because of my weight, even while I've been in college (one would think that college-aged individuals would be past the need to harass others, but I guess I'm wrong).

This is just another set of reasons why I am embarking on this weight loss journey!

An Important Note about The Blog  -- Two things here:  1)  I encourage you all to share this information, along with my blog, with your family and friends.  I need all the support I can get AND want to be an inspiration to others (or some feel good crap like that :-P). And 2)  In the right sidebar of the blog, I will be posting different information and encourage you to check it out!  It includes some of my favorite links, the Blog Rolls I am listed on, my stat counter, AND my weekly goals.

Until Next Time...

---------------

-Tyler

2 comments:

  1. Tyler! I'm so excited about this blog- I have also made a New Year's Resolution to exercise at least 3 times a week for 45 minutes to 1 hour. I saw where you posted your grocery list and I know paying for healthy food can get expensive. One thing that I have started doing is finding my recipes beforehand, then writing down all the ingredients- so when I go I don't "over buy." One website that has some great healthy recipes is "real simple" then have the nutrition facts- so you can see if they fit into your goals. Just thought I would comment- I'll let you know how my exercising goals go as well. Good luck starting tomorrow- you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Comments, suggestions, questions, and encouragement is always welcome!

I hope you visit again soon!!!

-Tyler